Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Importance of Solidarity

I often think about what is the best way to serve others. The temptation is always present to try and enforce change on a grandiose scale, reforming systems that oppress millions of people. Over the past few years I have discovered that this is not my calling.

Firstly, I firmly believe that change should not be made without constant interaction with the people it affects. Education reform was created specifically to help poor and failing schools. Yet, from reading No Child Left Behind, I feel that the reformers had no real connection to these failing schools or their students. Sitting in an office discussing extremely complex issues is difficult; it is easy to oversimplify or misread problems. I have a strong apprehension against those in power forming overreaching solutions for those who are oppressed (see Friere quote is previous post); especially when the reformers have no contact with or appreciation for the opinions of those they are affecting.

While policy on a large scale is very influential and important, I prefer to the idea of immersing oneself in a community and working to help empower the oppressed. Freshman year I spent a week in a segregated neighborhood of Chicago where the residents were primarily black. A paster that we talked to had a lot of resentment against rich white individuals trying to "help" their community. He said that "white folks" would come into their neighborhood with their plans and pride, make some insignificant change, then leave, feeling better about themselves. While this description is harsh, I think it is important to realize that when you enter an area, there are already people who understand the problems and what needs to be done much better then you ever will. It takes humility to use your skills and privilege to support a community rather then forcing your own ideals on others.

To try to tie this all together: I hope that I live every day humbly, understanding that I am neither helpless, nor the savior of society. I hope to love the inherent divinity which resides in each individual. I hope to help those who are oppressed gain a sense of self-efficacy, and to support them with the education and resources that I have been blessed with. I hope to live, eat, love, laugh, cry, share, and connect with the poor in my community.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Leah, this is really well written and thought out.