Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I believe in Wonder

A few months ago, I found myself leaping across a field in mountains that were surrounded by midst. My bare feet stepped on sharp dewy grass as my friends and I lightheartedly impersonated deer. It was impulsive and silly and I felt nothing but wonder. Also, I am 21 years old, legally old enough to partake in more adult enjoyments such as imbibing or gambling. Despite the childishness of the act, we felt compelled to do it; we were following our tendencies toward silliness rather then reason.
I believe that the wonderful is not something to be sought, but rather something we simply need to become aware of. Rediscovering my sense of wonder requires me to view the world around me intuitively and to revel in its beauty. Instead of walking with the sole purpose of reaching a destination, I allow myself to experience the journey.
I find awe in the everyday, the simple complexity of the world around me; listening to the percussion of footsteps, viewing the colors and values in a puddle, even closing my eyes and feeling the sensation of wind. We are schooled to know, work and achieve; and while these are necessary goals, what value does achievement have when we cannot enjoy living?
Experiencing wonder not only requires observance; it also requires an amount of letting go. It is challenging for me to let go of control, yet there are things in my life that are beyond my abilities and understanding. As I awaken my sense of wonder I need to revert, to reconnect with an aspect of my childhood. Like a child, I need to recognize that I am living within powerful forces. Death, life, and the experience of love shape my existence; so, how can I deal with these inevitabilities? Certainly not with arrogant acquisitions of knowledge.
I can learn to revel in the unanswered questions. I can consider with awe the fact that I am microscopic compared to the cosmos and my dependence on the pollinating powers of a honey bee. Knowing that I am not invincible allows me to let go of grand illusions and to simply delight in my surroundings, wherever I might be. So I will go on adventures in my backyard and take time to look at the moon. While I may never see that field again, I can always find a place to leap.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Leah, so beautiful! I wish I could express in words everything we experienced this summer as you have captured this moment of our amazing summer full of wonder and life! LOVE YOU-Rosie