Sunday, November 28, 2010

"Expect the end of the world" -Wendell Berry

Listening to statistics about the blatant destruction caused by our society is horrifying and numbing at the same time. Sometimes it is challenging to believe that we have any chance of overcoming the obstacles that prevent us from achieving a peaceful and sustainable existence (of course, because of my upbringing, this pain and suffering can appear to be merely theoretical and without any implications on my everyday life).

I face many questions:
How do I break out of my cushioned existence to face the realities of the world?
Am I capable of imagining a new society?
Can I have any positive effect on the world when facing overwhelming obstacles?

When learning about global warming, the rapid extinction of species, gang violence, corporate greed etc. it can be difficult to process the reality of these situations. Ignoring these issues is easy and all too common. Yet, how can we connect the individual with overarching global realities?

I often struggle with these questions, but I find inspiration in the words of Oscar Romero, "We plant seeds that one day will grow. We water seeds already planted, knowing they hold future promise... We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in that. This enables us to do something, and to do it very well."

Although we are not infinite or indestructible, we are still accountable. We need to find the balance between recognizing our own limitations while still working towards justice with every fiber of our being. I fail daily at living up to my ideals, but I strive to make every action exude from love and respect for nature (including human beings). I am an interdependent being; I cannot live a moment without the forces of the earth. Illusions can distract us from the reality that destroying ecosystems, cultures, and the atmosphere leads only to our own downfall.

No comments: