Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Artist Statement

With modern medical advances, it seems that we are striving towards immortality. I believe, as humans, we are neither indestructible, nor completely independent. My art reflects the ambiguity and transience of life. I am drawn towards that which is mysterious and uncertain. Accepting our inability to achieve omnipotence allows us to appreciate the unknowable sublime that is present within everyday life. Because of this, shrines inspire much of my art. Through my work, I attempt to reconnect the viewer with his or her sense of awe.


My sense of place allows me to understand my interdependence within the world. I collect experiences and objects that I find inspiring within the places I encounter. Recently I have been working with the experience of light as it passes through the atmosphere during a sunset; especially the uncontainable glow that radiates from an unknown source. I hope to inspire feelings of wonder rather then painting a cliché landscape.

1 comment:

Aaron Berger said...

Nice statement. I like the idea of interdependence. acknowledging that art isn't suppose to be autonomous is a contemporary idea that I myself am investigating.

I would try to explain the connection between awe/wonder to the inability to achieve omnipotence. or how shrines are connected to awe.

the hudson school of landscape painters I think would be an important influence on what you're doing.

also this essay http://www.marginalutility.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Claire-Bishop_Antagonism-and-Relational-Aesthetics.pdf I think talks about the ideas that I think relate to what you're talking about.

anyways good read.