Thursday, December 30, 2010

Winter break experiments

I have found myself increasingly interested with a single mark in front of a solid background. Currently, I seem to be very drawn to this idea. Perhaps I am attracted to this because I often explore isolation vs. connectedness. The single vertical mark, to me, evokes the idea of a figure within an empty space.



I tend to use non traditional media to make marks; I have experimented with food, drinks, tobacco, etc. here are just a few of the many that I have made. This process has been steered by intuition and experimentation rather then following an intentional idea.

I am considering combining these with found objects. The designs are balanced and intentional; reflecting my interest in tribal shrines.


I really enjoy experimenting with the use of different spices, they can create bold colors and interesting textures. I also have an affection for spices because of my interest in cooking; personally, cooking is extremely meditative and relaxing.

This found object experiment reflects my love for Joseph Cornell. I feel that Cornell uses everyday, mundane objects to create mystical worlds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore this. If I had the chance I would paint it in a heartbeat.